Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Indira Point ... To & Back


Indira Point   ….. To  & Back
S. Balakrishnan

This narrates one of my dreams blooming at last - visiting the Southernmost Point of India, i.e., Parson’s Pygmalion Point of Great Nicobar Island in Andaman & Nicobar Group of Islands of India [Now, Indira Point]. The rough travel jottings were done from 18th April to 5th May 1979. It is interesting for the finer details I have noted down.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
For my other stories on Indira Point, pl. refer:
Jan 06, 2010
(The Point was later renamed Indira Point, after a visit to that place by Smt. Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minster of India.) M.V. Onge, the inter-island ship plying between Port Blair and the Nicobar Group of Islands, ...
May 06, 2009
Once a happy reminder of my dream visit to Indira Point, the Southernmost Tip of Indian soil, now they remind me of the devastating Tsunami of December 26, 2004, which has not only devoured that Land's Tip but also the ...
Apr 23, 2009
The place was earlier called Parson's Pygmalion Point. After a visit to the place by the then Prime Minister of India, Mrs. Indira Gandhi, it was renamed Indira Point. Campbell Bay is the main and only town of Great Nicobar ...
Apr 30, 2009
Indira Point in Great Nicobar Island -Photo:Southernmost Point of India -. Posted by Balakrishnan at 11:59 PM · Email ThisBlogThis!Share to TwitterShare to Facebook. Labels: Indira Point photo ...
1
2
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
I am reproducing (data entering) in Sept. 2011 without much change and with grammatical errors as it is (so that readers can have a hearty laugh), but with some additions here & there, which are in […..] brackets, as explanatory notes. While reading, pl. remember that in those days there were no cell phones, internet, E-mail, cable /dish TV, not even TV, daily newspapers, etc., in the Islands; even landline phones were very, very rare in that remotest island of Great Nicobar. {For geographical & technical Notes, pl. see another item in my blog}
[ This sketch, technically speaking ‘line drawing’, was scribbled by me in 1979 in the notebook in which I was writing these travel jottings]
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

After a long hesitation and thinking, at last I applied for earned leave from April 20 to May 10 1979, sometime in March 1979 itself. Again I reminded our Regional Office (Press Information Bureau - PIB) in Calcutta [now Kolkata], in the first week of April. But till I started from Port Blair to Campbell Bay, no sanction.
April 18, 1979 Wednesday:
The sailing program [I had used this US spelling way back in 1979 itself!] was announced over All India Radio, Port Blair, and in The Daily Telegrams [the local administration’s mouthpiece]. Two consecutive sailings up to Campbell Bay & back.
After waiting [in the queue] the whole forenoon on 18th April and again in the afternoon for about an hour, I got the ticket (Bunk Class Rs. 39.40, one way) after much persuasion and, to say, begging those bastards [sorry for the foul language, but I must have been really frustrated]. I knew Mother Nature won’t let me down, since [as] I am going to adore and worship Her. In the meantime, I was collecting details about the places [see separate post in my blog] and planning also.
I got the pass within ½ a day on 16th April 1979 from Development Commissioner’s office (to visit Nicobar Islands, though Great Nicobar Island itself is not a restricted place, as it is not inhabited by Nicobari tribe in a major way), a great achievement,  I suppose. Nowadays, I know the trick, ways & means to get things done, of course, cursing those connected persons [persons concerned] vehemently. [I had taken oral permission to leave office for this purpose.]
On 18th, my boss [Mr. P.K. Majumdar, Assistant Information Officer, Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting , Government of India, Port Blair] was ‘kind’ enough to grant ½ a day’s Casual Leave (18th forenoon) and also permission on 17th  and 18th (afternoon). I suppose he thinks once I leave on a long trip, he could play as he wishes. Anyhow, I got my leave sanctioned by him.
Loaned Rs. 75/- from my friend Antony [Jr. Engineer, Andaman Public Works Department (APWD), my contemporary at Virudhunagar S. Vellaichamy Nadar Polytechnic - 1972-75 Batch, where I did my Diploma in Commercial Practice and he did his Diploma in Civil Engineering, and whom I met accidentally at Gurusamy Provisions Stores in Port Blair. It was thro’ him my contacts’ / friends’ circle widened there] and bought 10 black & white film roles for Rs. 70! Got two travellers’ cheques of Rs. 50/- each [a great amount for me in those days] from State Bank of India. On loan, I got Antony’s suitcase and with wishes of him and his relative Mrs. & Mr. Hasparaj (with whom he was staying), Mr. Ponnusamy (of Memory Studio), Mrs. & Mr. Avadani, Mr. Meeran & others (of Dy. Accountant General Office - DAG), left the DAG Colony on 18th evening. Purchased buns, groundnuts, plantains, biscuits and, of course, chloroquine tablets 12 nos.! [anti-malarial drug]
Got addresses of known people in the Southern Group, from Antony, Mr. Haspa Raj, and Mr. Murugesan, School Teacher (?) (lived nearby).
Packing started at 8 PM and ended at 10 PM. wrote a letter to Ma (in Madras) at 10.30PM (posted in the next morning). Lay down at 11 PM.
April 19 1979 Thursday:
Mr. Murugesan woke me up at 4.20 AM, sharp. Got up at 4.30 AM. [I think I slept at his house, so that he would wake me up even if I had overslept so as not to miss the ferry. I did not have an alarm timepiece.] Had bath and started at 5.20 AM. Even at 4.30, the dawn was quite bright and the happy, energetic birds were twittering happily. Reached Choulunga (marine) Wharf at 6 AM.
The ship MV Onge [Onge is an aboriginal tribe, now restricted only to Little Andaman Island] sailed only at 8.45 AM, instead of 7AM (it is rather unusual for inter-island ferry to start sailing after such a delay; instead, they would as well cancel the sailing and re-fix the next day). This is teachers’ sailing and hence had to start punctually! The next sailing also being teachers’ sailing, I hope (though I don’t wish) to return on 4th May as scheduled.  [Teachers’ sailings are meant mainly for mainland people working as teachers in far-flung islands, to go to mainland on start of summer vacation, and to get back to duty at the end of vacation].
The first snap was of the Tourist Home (Megapode Nest) complex in Haddows area. This was not actually serial no. 1 of the roll. [ I number it a1] No. 1 was Chatham Island [where Asia’s oldest & biggest sawmill was established].
After some time of the sailing, there was nothing to see, but the blue sea with shining diamonds. Hence I sat to write this.
I saw a foreigner whom I later understood is a West Germanian (sic) working in the Calcutta University researching on Indian snakes. He has come on duty to Little Andaman and will be returning in the sailing in which I too shall be returning to Port Blair. He told me they are harassing too much by ‘procedures’. He shall go to South Africa to work there and shall be coming on leave to India, now & then.
‘Onge’ berthed at Hut Bay Jetty at 4.30 PM. This new jetty and the break water were inaugurated by Prime Minister, Mr. Morarji Desai, on Feb. 12, 1979 [during which period Cellular Jail was dedicated as National Memorial. I was witness to the function and had taken some snaps.] There is a memorial for those workmen who passed away while constructing the ‘L’ -shaped breakwater.


About 8 hours running to Little Andaman. I feel little dizzy, but hope to manage well. Took buns, plantains in the noon.
With the camera [Agfa Click III ‘box camera’ & black & white roll; colour roll was unimaginable / unaffordable and no processing facility in Port Blair] I set out of the ship. Lovely Nicobari lasses were seen carrying plantains and papayas. How innocent their faces are!
Took a shot of the logs (bounded (sic) together, the way they were brought from forests through creeks). There was a lovely Nicobari stall full of bunches of plantains & plantains, papayas and, of course, tea. Shot this. Went around the village. Two lambs were standing on the ‘Y’ shaped cement [concrete] blocks [groynes for breakwater construction]; snapped them.
Went to the main street (black-topped road). Purchased ‘Yera’ glass tumbler for Rs. 3/- from a co-operative stores (since in the ship’s canteen they have no tumblers.) Further, it will be like a souvenir from Little Andaman. Had a (chaya) tea for 25 P in a Bengali tea stall. Onion is Rs. 3/kg and potato Rs. 2.80/kg. Ah, just double the price at Port Blair! I just enquired for that sake.
Returned to ship at 7 PM after going (a)round  here and there. Had plantains and bun. Ah, I must tell one more thing - I overheard this while moving around; some Tamilians were talking and passing by my side, like this “It seems some Anglo-Indian has come”  “Is this that  fellow (pointing at me, and thinking that I do not know Tamil)  “No, no (not him)”. Very interesting, is it not?
The scene in the ship is very interesting. Bunches of plantains hanging all around, and papayas resting in the benches. Everywhere boxes of all shapes & sizes, beds, tins, bags and people lying, sitting, reading, talking, playing cards, eating … oh, such a variety.
I was tuning my [tiny transistor] radio in the bunk; but ‘grrr…..” was the only sound I received. Then someone told me, because of the heavy power lines here, you won’t get it. When I tuned it at the outside, Port Blair station could be received very poorly. Likewise Delhi news also. So many South-East Asian Stations’ interruption was heavy.
It was to sail at 9.30 PM. Now it is 9.45. Don’t know if it had sailed. At 10 PM I heard it had sailed off Hut Bay. From Onge, I could count about 20 lights only (tube as well as ordinary bulbs) at Hut Bay.
I remember another interesting happening when I was shooting at lambs at Hut Bay. A Tamilian lady was remarking “Hey, what this guy is up to? Taking photos of lambs!) [Ennatha foto edukrangalam, hm..]

20th April 1979 Friday:
Got up at 3.20 AM to view Sunrise. I was foolishly looking at the south, [later, I committed the same mistake at Parson’s Pygmalion Point / Indira Point also] and then I saw colorful sky in the East. Only then I realized my folly. It seems either the sun is angry with me or shy to appear before me without purdha (face covering cloth, i.e., clouds). Until 5.30 AM, I could not see him fully, but then it (sun) was too high and did not look so nice. I could take only one shot with lovely (?) clouds. By then, why, even well before that (may be at around 4 AM), the light of the lighthouse at Car Nicobar was visible.
Onge anchored near Rit-töp [original name in Nicobari] [Titop / Tee Top - the modern name] Bay at around 6.20 AM. Oh, the beach was bordered with coconut trees; it looked as if a coconut forest is there! The silvery beach and all that, oh! The stevedoring operation started at 8.30 AM and after breakfast (no bath) I reached the shore by raft at 10.30 AM. (Rs. 4.50 for ferry service from Onge to shore & back)
 Ran to catch an APWD truck and reached, with some difficulty, the Headquarters at 11.45. Had meals at a Tamilian hotel (at U-rèk-ka / Malacca village) Rs. 3/- and by walk reached Tim-lö / Tamalu /Tamoolo village (a distance of about 4 km), taking wonderful shots (do not know how they would turn up when developed) all the way.
Had a lift in a scooter of a Sardarji and reached Pum-pai /Chukchucha  village, where Ellen Hinengeo Ltd (EHL) [a cooperative setup of Nicobaris] is situated. After impatient waiting there, got lift again on an APWD truck and safely and well before time reached Tee Top Jetty at 2.45 PM. Thanks to the Sardarji and the lorry driver. Had water (so thirsty I was) and a tea. By ferry boat reached Onge at 3.30 PM.
Plantain is very rare in Car Nicobar; papaya also.

The ladies are shy while I approached for snaps. Children are fond of it (as elsewhere) and pose happily and readily with full of smiles. One lad didn’t permit at the first instance to take a shot of women doing the flooring for a house. Cricket has come even to Car Nicobar! [Satellite telecast was available there, I think, on limited scale]. While going in lorry, I saw a man and his lovely (wife) lady bicycling. While taking a photo of a small girl when she was breaking a nut (doring nut, she said), she offered me a nut. It was nice, of course. One lady has asked for a copy of the little baby (don’t know whether he/she, for the baby was wearing an underwear). I was lucky to take those rare shots described in the Tamil book ‘Nicobar Islands’. I am so lucky to have shot two snaps of men carrying a wild boar (I suppose festival is approaching fast). In the launch, I saw a lovely cage for a parrot, made of the main stem of coconut leaves. So wonderful & artistic, you know!  I am sad I could not snap it. As soon as landed, we had to run for catching the lorry.
I very much wanted to visit Ha-nyôch / Mus village, but could not. There is a hotel run by a Nicobari near Headquarters. There is a circuit house at Headquarters. D.C.’s (Deputy Commissioner) & other offices are there only. I met a Tamilian who is a dance master teaching Manipuri & Bharatha Nattiyam to the students.
 Beehive-shaped huts are very rare, probably 1% only. All others are on stands [stilts]. Quite a few houses were built of bricks. Wooden-built houses are common.
I could see one or two ladies with bare chest, but did not dare to take photos.
Black-topped road runs all around the Island, it is said. I saw some three, four Hindu temples. Also at Little Andaman.
Ships berth at Malacca during South-West monsoon (May-Oct.) and at Sawai (Tee Top) during North-East monsoon (Oct. to May).
This I’m writing, sitting in my berth (No. 46, Deck) from since (sic) I reached; now it’s nearing 5 PM. I’m hungry, though I had a packet of biscuits a little while ago. The rest I‘ll write in the night. I want to take shots of sunset. Ok, then.
Went to bed very soon, probably at 7 PM or so. There were heavy clouds. Hence only one shot of sunset.
Saturday April 21 1979:
Not a very sound sleep. I woke up many times. Sun rise, I couldn’t see. I saw Teressa Island at 5 AM. Anchored at 6 AM
Within a short time, lovely odis [Nicobari country boats with side rig] came, numbering about 12 or so. They ranged from very small ones where 3 could sit and big ones where about 15 could sit, with their loads. How daring these little Nicobari boys are! 3 small boys came rowing in their smallest odi, so gently.  How brave of them! There was a man (Nicobari) like Tara Singh. So far, I could see only one Nicobari wearing spectacles! It was a lovely sight to see odis; don’t know how it would be when we travel. There is no jetty at Teressa. The ship didn’t call alt Chowra as per timetable. I was anxiously waiting to see Chowra. After about 1 ½ hours, the ship sailed for Katchal.
Reached Katchal Jetty (RCC jetty) at 11 AM. Since I heard the ship would be berthed till 1 PM, I rushed to take a bath. I myself drew water from a small well of 3 ft. in diameter and about 10 ft. deep. Had a refreshing bath. Thanks to the Telugu man [who suggested this, I suppose]. At about 11.30 AM, the bus left for some place, loaded fully. I couldn’t get tender coconut. Demand for even this, eh! The policemen refused a Nicobari (who was drunk) to take into the ship some coconuts. It seems we can’t take many no. of coconuts and much quantity of coconut oil from tribal areas. That Nicobari started shouting angrily, while his little boy was looking on pitily (sic) [pitifully]. Later they allowed him, but he just refused and took it back home!! At the same time I saw some persons known to the policemen and men of big bosses carrying sacks of coconuts and bottles of oil to ship. Ah, that is the way!  The ship left Katchal at 1.10 PM.
The way to Nancowry is so charming. It is like this:


The ship passed thru’ the passage in-between Nancowry and Kamorta Islands. There are so many bays on the way to Kamorta jetty. Such a wonderful harbour indeed! Reached Kamorta at 2.45 PM. Availed a ferry to Champion (say about 500 metres away). Though the fare is only 45 P (one way), since the man had no change on both the ways, I had to pay a total of Rs. 1.50, instead of 90 P.
Within 10 minutes reached the Champion Jetty (wooden jetty). Kamorta jetty is RCC and has been opened in 1970 only.
On the Champion Jetty, areca nuts were being weighed in sacks. A little away, the nice smell of dried copras was filling in the air. Manula Mitai Ltd.’s (shortly marked on the jute sacks as MML) [cooperative venture] lovely light-green building stands prominently near the jetty. I went into the village a short distance.
Oh boy! So lovely lasses were there (as Mr. Murugesan sir told me)!! One was sitting in the swing, but refused to pose for a snap. Pity! Some others were sitting near the beach on their boat, but as soon as they saw me with a camera, turned off their faces. One was walking alone, but I didn’t dare to take a photo. Since I thought it’s not wise & gentlemanism (sic) [gentlemanly]. There is a church with a wooden cross inside it. Then, the grave of one Rani Isloyn with her belongings - a steel trunk, enamel coated (China ware) eating plate, bowls, glass tumbler, etc.
It seems they bind the roof of
Nicobari house
this type of house first and then shift it, for I saw such a readymade one (roof) kept on the ground.

Caught the ferry and returned to Kamorta at 4.05 PM. You know, as soon as the business people alighted down on the jetty, they started selling the vegetables. Within a while, drumstick was out of stock; lemon costs 33 P each; onion (big) at Katchal Rs. 4/kg. One Glucose Asoka brand biscuit packet costs Rs. 1.25 at Little Andaman, whereas at Port Blair, the small petty shop-keepers sell at Rs.1.10 only.
Went to a Hotel (Tamilian) and took 3 dosais, 2 chapatis and 2 cups of tea. The tea tasted nice with ginger, etc. That is why I took 2 cups. This came to a total of Rs. 2.10. Tea costs 30P/cup.
It seems there is a heavy demand and shortage of any type of vegetable. Even for pulses (dhal) the people have to depend on M/s Akooji Traders. The hotel man told me he had to bring drinking water from a far off place in Odi. [Remember, there was no bottled drinking water then!] Don’t know how people live there! (In Katchal I saw a big tank-like thing with iron sheets all around the rectangular pitch (sic) [pit] of about 10’x5’ size  where water was there. Don’t know whether it’s a well, or just a storing tank. Many of the bunk/deck passengers bathed at Katchal).
The ship moved from Kamorta at exactly 5 PM. After reaching a distance of about 1 or 1 ½ km., i.e.., after passing thro’ another passage, no. 2 in the sketch, it anchored. I heard it will sail from here at around 10.30PM only, so as to reach Campbell Bay in the early morning and not in the very early dawn. I wonder why not it instead as well stay at the jetty itself!
For more than ½ an hour I saw fire in another island; may be in the forest. (No. 3 in the sketch)
Dropped a packet of biscuit into my stomach in addition to some plantains, at 6 PM. Now, when I write this it is 8 PM. Due to the hot air in the place, and due to the movement of the ship, etc., I feel head ache. I need a sound sleep. So, Good Night then.
Hope to take some nice shots of sunrise, provided the clouds are away from my path.
Sunday, the 22nd April 1979:
Onge berthed at last at Campbell Bay Jetty at 7 AM. It seemed a long way to reach APWD office, probably because I had luggage. Mr. Ganesan, Principal Engineer, APWD, and his family had come. He is on duty to inspect. After some waiting, went to Mr. Thirunavukkarasu’s quarters where 3 others are also put up. Had a bath. Water scarcity everywhere. No pipeline and the water has to be brought from a distant well. The whole body is so aching. I am dog tired. Even winking is painful. The eyes soar (sic) [sore] like anything. Due to the fan heat in the bunk. The whole day I was just lying, half awake and half asleep. At about 3.30 PM, set out and went this way and that way, to Murugan Temple and jetty. I met the Syndicate Bank Clerk, Mr. Moolon, near the jetty.[He is a new recruit from mainland India, and came in Onge to join duty here]  Onge has sailed off to Port Blair at 5 PM. Swallowed one chloroquine tab. in the morning.  Had a tender coconut and 3 dosais. Now it is 7.30 PM & I feel like lying down.
http://nicobar.nic.in/images/Great_Nicobar.gif (Parson’s Pygmalion Point)
Monday 23rd April 1979:
Last night, I just slept in the verandah. Then after 9, I went to one teacher’s house who had left by Onge.
Had a sound sleep. Since the window pans (sic) [panes] haven’t been fixed, it was cold. There was no mosquito trouble at all. Got up as usual at 5.30 AM. Almost I had recovered from the aches, and felt quite easy and relaxed. But I was lazy and took my bath after breakfast. Went with Mr. Raghulan to his Section, then to Mr. Bhowmik’s [at Andaman Public Works Department - APWD; referred by Antony, my friend in Port Blair] Returned with them for meals [lunch]. Read some old magazines. At 5 PM went up to circuit house, then till a little distance in the road near jetty, when a poem struck me:
Where Beauty Lies…
True beauty is Nature’s beauty
Thus admiring I was strolling
And it was an enchanting evening
In the West, the Sun was painting.

Suddenly something pricked my bare foot
I tried to pull that thorny plant up by the roots.

‘Oh, no, no. Wait a bit, my boy’, cried the plant
And asked the reason for my rare walk
‘Oh, that’s none of your business’, I snapped;
‘I just walk about enjoying nature’s beauty’.

Oh, that is great! But what a pity!
Don’t you think I am a tiny bit
Of that Nature’s beauty?
Beauty lies where you find it.

Yes, the fault is in my eyes.
Thinking so I returned home.
And, whenever I pass by that side,
I water the thorny plant from the river nearby.
                                                                                … S. Balakrishnan
1979 Campbell Bay, Great Nicobar.

Was sitting in the jetty for a while. Overheard an interesting chat from which I could sketch out a drama. [But haven’t noted it down]
Snap of sunset from Campbell Bay Jetty
I was much astonished to see a kind of marine life near jetty which left behind its way a green coloured light-like thing, like a jet plane leaving smoke behind it.
Met Mr. Nedumaran, local leader of AIADMK party (All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam) and enquired about the places of interest here. He told me that Raja Rajan’s stone [ inscription?] was a false story created by some Tamilian labourers. My! How disappointed I was. What a foul game to play on!
A party was arranged by Mr. Raghulon. Mr. Thirunavukkarasu gave an entertaining show. Went to bed at 10.30 PM and very soon the generator set stopped breathing and went to soundless sleep. I won’t write more about the party, for it is not nice on my part [neither do I remember now]. [Diesel generators are the only source of power generation in Andaman & Nicobar Islands, even today!]
Tuesday 24th April 1979:
Got up late at 6 AM, since I went to bed very late. After bath, breakfast, caught the 11 AM bus and reached 35 km. at 12.45 noon. On the way got down at 4 places since the wooden bridges are too weak. There was a marriage (Malayalee, Hindu groom & Christian bride), which is the talk from Campbell Bay to 35 km. The driver & conductor got down, ate the tiffin and then the bus started again. Had meals at a hotel at 35 km. (Rs. 2.50). Was discussing with M/s Durairajan, Sethu (of Reclamation & Rehabilitation Orgnaisation - RRO) about Pygmalion Point [now called Indira Point] and night stay.  In the evening everything was settled with everyones’ help. Had a walk. Then interviewed Mr. Ramaiah’s family for 2 hours [this appeared in Sainik Samachar - English - in 1979]. Dinner with Mr. Sethu (chapathi of their mess & omelette of his own preparation). Slept at 9 PM.
Wednesday 25th April 1979:
Woke up at 4 AM. Got up at 4.30 AM. Took bath, etc. Didn’t take breakfast. Started at around 7 AM with M/s Balaiah and Pandiyan (Veeraian). Went by a shortcut and again met the road. Reached Galathea River at 8.15 AM. Rested at the hut. Very nice scene. High tide. Waited till 1 PM & then all crossed at around 2 PM. Reached Nicobari hut (Chingen village), had toddy & dabs (coconut) (3.15 PM). Stones, so smooth & lovely [Where, at what point?].  Then reached Lighthouse at 5 PM. Had some ‘dabs’ on the way. Was so enjoyable. Snapped sunset at 5.25 PM. “Oh dear Nature, Thank You so much”, I murmured, put some sand in my mouth and drunk (sic) [drank] the saline water.
Uppuma was prepared out of the ‘ravai’ (sooji) and we ate and lay down at 6.30 PM itself, and also the men there, since no power is there.
Thursday 26th April 1979:
In the night there was drizzling for a while. I slept in the verandah, but no so cold at all; how, I wonder!
Woke up at 4 AM. Waited at sea shore for the sun rise. As usual, there were clouds and it came the other side. [I was foolishly gazing at the south!] Took a shot, but not so satisfied. Then went up the lighthouse. The scene was so charming. What a strong structure. 1/2" inch iron sheets.  [This structure withstood the tsunami of 2004, despite being so close to the epicenter; but it is now not on land, but surrounded by 5 metres of sea water!] Took many shots there. Balaiah snapped me near the beach, me wearing the shorts, cap, etc. Don’t know how it’ll come. Took fantastic (how do you say before developing) shots from the top.  Range of light is 18 to 22 sec. miles.
Started at 7 AM. Had tender coconuts on the way and chapattis (how thick!) with chaya at Forest Dept. men’s house. [As we took the beach route] saw ship wreck, stones polished by the waves. Bought toddy at Holchu’s [Nicobari] hut [at Chinge hamlet]. After some waiting, crossed the nallah [stream in Hindi, though Galathea is a perennial river, the only one found in Nicobar Group] with dinghy (country boat) at 1.15 PM. Reached 35 km. at 3.15 PM. Took a bath. Snapped some shots of the helping souls. Evening stroll. Dinner with Mr. Sethu and slept at 8 PM.
[For further information & interesting details, one may please refer to
balakrishnan-balusblog.blogspot.com/.../trip-to-southernmost-point...
balakrishnan-balusblog.blogspot.com/2009/.../trip-to-indira-point.ht...
Friday the 27th April 1979:
Got up at 4.15 AM. And by RRO (Reclamation& Rehabilitation Organization) truck reached 30 km. Chatted there and by the same truck reached Campbell Bay at 10.15 AM. The truck could not cross the bridge (Prem nallah) since it was under repair and had to wait for more than 1 hour or so.
Enchased Traveler’s Cheques, chatted with Mr. Nedumaran. After lunch, was lazily lying for some time. Went to medical [hospital] for showing the toe [what happened, I don’t remember now].Then chatted in the room. Little walk.
Saturday 28th April 1979:
Went with Mr. Thirunavukkarasu at 7 AM to 24 km. breakfasted (sic) at 18 km. Took some shots, met people there; very moving stories. Returned at 12.30 noon. Had two glassful of pure milk. [Cow’s milk is very, very rare in Andamans. We used only milk powder. Probably here the settlers were given cows to rear, hence the opportunity]. Ah, so refreshing! I enjoy going like this, meeting people, knowing their problems, etc. [as if I can solve them! What a shame!]
Sunday the 29th April 1979: 
In the evening at 4 PM, went to Chengappa Beach along with M/s Raghul & Bhowmik and reached jetty, on the way beachcombing, and returning to room at 7 PM. Finished writing letters to Ma, Mano [sister], Suren [A.S. Surendran, my polytechnic classmate], Ms. Usha Abraham [my ex-boss in M/s Dadha Pharmaceuticals Ltd., {both in Madras /now Chennai}]  and myself [to my Port Blair address. [Do I still have this letter?]
Monday 30th April 1979:
I tried to go by Kamakshi, a private cargo ship. Then I heard Onge is coming on 2nd. So I gave up the idea. Posted the letters [obviously they would be carried to Port Blair by the same Onge by which I would have sailed and then onwards to mainland]. Very lazily passing the time. Getting so tired and hungry.
Tuesday 1st May 1979:
Got up from bed at 8.15 AM only. In the noon took some snaps. I missed seeing Shompens [Shy Shompens, as they are known, who live only in Great Nicobar] who had come to collect rations. Gossiped with Mr. Nedumaran & others. There was shower in the late evening.  Monsoon has started. It seems Onge is coming on 3rd morning. Of the 25 settlers’ families, only 17 or so are coming. Others heard the state of affairs here, it seems.
Wednesday 2nd May 1979:
Remember this day? Just one year back arrived in Port Blair [to join duty]. Finished reading detailed project report on breakwater (200 x 950 m.) at Campbell Bay. Very interesting. How many surveys - wind, soil, sand, water, wave, etc., & calculation of cost very minutely!! I must get such reports from Mr. Hasparaj & read. In the evening, went to market and purchased eatables both for me and the mess [of friends with whom I was staying].
Thursday 3rd May 1979:
Got up at 5.40 AM, whereas my watch showed only 5 AM. Finished bath, etc., and started from house at 7 AM. Just then Onge arrived, ½ hour late. The usual hallah-bullah of boarding in & out, and loading & unloading took place and the ship left at 10, 1 ½ hrs. beyond scheduled time. Took a last snap of jetty and sent some flying kisses to dear Campbell Bay where, I may not visit again probably. For a long time I was gazing at Great Nicobar Island. Slept from 10 ½ to 1 PM. Boring. My head has started giving all sorts of pain. I feel  better take it off. It’s so cloudy everywhere and rains every now & then. I suppose we are entering Camorta thro’ the other way. Till 5 ½ PM we haven’t reached there. At this rate, I wonder when we’ll reach Port Blair. Very shortly, say at 6.15 PM, we reached & anchored at Kamorta. It was drizzling, so I dropped the idea of going for a stroll and tiffin. Bought 2 small size breads for Rs. 2. No tea. So swallowed one as it was and had some plantains. Went to bed at 7.30 or so.
Friday 4th May 1979:
Had somewhat a sound sleep. Woke up at 4 AM. At about 4.30 sailed off from Kamorta and reached Katchal at 6.30 AM. A jeep was unloaded and sailed off at 8.15 AM. Had 3 hrs.' sound sleep and woke up at 11.30 AM. Onge is sailing, sailing,  and sailing; at all probability, I hope, we will touch Car Nicobar at 5 PM or so. It is not calling at Teressa. So I missed seeing the fleet of Odies. From 11.30 till 6 PM had enough - vomited thrice, severe head pain (sic) [ache] and what not. At 6 PM, Onge reached Car Nicobar. I changed dress and lay down at 6 PM itself.
Saturday 5th May 1979:
Though woke up at 4.30 AM, got up at 7 only. Bad luck! I couldn’t get tea this time also. Had a glass full of water, instead. Almost till the ship reached Port Blair, I was just lying down, half awake and half asleep. Ship berthed at 2 PM, instead of 10 AM, as scheduled. I landed at 2.10 PM. Thus ended my trip to worship Nature from the southernmost tip of India.
Thank you Mother Nature. Hope to see you in some other new place, shortly. So long then.
Had lunch, reached office, read the letters, memo [for proceeding out of headquarters without seeking specific permission], bathed, gave the film rolls for developing, went to Dy. Accountant General colony [quarters]. Reached house at 7.5 PM, cleaned almost every place. How much of dust! Went to bed at 10.45 PM. Not a sound sleep till 1 AM; because of the memo, eh? [The first memo in service, hence could be scared]. Or the rolling effect of the ferry?
-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Read my posting -
Great Nicobar Island
- Geographical Details Gathered by S. Balakrishnan in 1979

No comments:

Post a Comment